Life By Bicycle @ Wordpress

Bicycling & Alternative Transportation Collection.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Sheldon Brown RIP




And so I have heard only this day that a man who has done so much died of a heart attack at 63. Sheldon Brown, had offered his knowledge and his experience, to many the new cyclist, he will reside in the location whereby men such as Ken Kifer have long resided. It is a sad story how Ken Kifer was lost to a drunk driver. Also sad that Sheldon Brown passed this day. His articles and information have been a great inspiration to the masses of cyclist in this world today. I can only hope that someone will keep it alive as Riin Gill had done for Ken Kifer seemingly so long ago. When you really think of it great information will span generations. To a point like many the great writer who has passed, his stories legendary and remembered long after the physical body leaves this world.

How do you remember Sheldon Brown? Leave a comment.

I can only say that as Ken Kifer will be missed so shall Sheldon Brown, let us hope the year gets better as time passes.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

nollij said...

The first time I found Sheldon was when I was looking for information on the proper technique for removing pedals. It had been years since I'd done it, and his site was my starting point. Through the intervening time, I've referred to his site dozens of times and I've referred at least a dozen other people to his pages. What really shines through is his huge humanity. He helped so many people, he loved his family fiercely and he was a true voice of wisdom and moderation in the bicycle world. He will be missed: who will fill the void? Kent Peterson is still around, but he admits himself that Sheldon knew more than he...

Ride In Peace Sheldon.

Knatchwa said...

Thanks for your comment, I would like to see more peoples comments and remembrance of Sheldon Brown. I wonder though as my initial inspiration was Ken Kifer though he often referred to Sheldon. Amazing group of individuals.

Thanks for reading

falcon said...

I just found out about Sheldon passing away. He had given me some advice on a rebuild a few weeks earlier, and so it was quite a shock. He will truly be missed in the cycling community, especially among those of us who mess around with old bikes. Sheldon always knew THE answer that no one else did.

I would suggest that folks spend a few minutes on his personal web site, and learn a little more about him.

While it's a bummer that Sheldon is gone, I am glad to see that he did not have to suffer through years of feeling useless and unable to do things. He had a rare form of M.S., and while it did limit his biking, he did what he could, and he was a huge resource to others right up until the end, and kept a positive upbeat attitude.

Knatchwa said...

Thanks for your participation, I hope to see more comments besides. While you are visiting you can also check out:

ToC Hok-I for additional writings.