Life By Bicycle @ Wordpress

Bicycling & Alternative Transportation Collection.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bicycle Thievery Revisitted....



I have had two bikes stolen recently, and it bothered me that it happened to my brother also but that has already been made clear.

When I look back I realize the mistakes I made, and though it took two experiences to get the point through my thick head I realized after the second some of the weaknesses when I looked at how they were locked up.

The first one was a Schwinn Ranger 2.6 fs, a 130 dollar target special. Though after the modifications, including adding a rack, new tires and better gearing the price was higher. Apparently so much so someone found interest in it and decided to take it home. To clarify, it was locked in a parking garage with a camera watching it, so I figured it was a bit more secure. I used the basic cable and key lock. In that was
my mistake. When I look back after watching the surveillance video I realized how useless those cameras can be. It just took a moment, the camera blocked, the thief walks in and walks out and no more bike.

The second experience, Brand New Giant Rincon retailing for about 350 usd stock 435 modified to my preference, I rode to work each day and locked it up to a railing right in front of the restaurant I was working at using the same cable and lock, and right after I get back from a break I lock up my bike and go into work Less than two hours later the security who by the way was supposed to be patrolling the area walks up and hands me a cut cable, all that is left of my bike. Just that moment he had gone into a laundromat next door and was talking with some people there instead of watching the grounds. Useless it would seem, so I filed a report and the bike is still gone, there was a clue I might be able to get it back through the supposed insurance the owners of the lot offer but I don't know and even if I could I wonder if it would be worth the time or the effort.

Finally, the most recent addition, after waiting near three months to have it arrive, a black and gray rincon 21 inch frame, locked with a OnGuard Lock U Lock with Cable and insured up to 2150 usd for failure of the lock or at least that is the story I been told but I have not tested it and verified. Thus far every time I come out of the store my bike is still there. And I am glad don't think it is worth another
three month wait to ship from china.

Thanks for your time and Ride On....securely so you come out to your trusty stead always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i also had some bikes stolen recently such a pain

Knatchwa said...

Yes it certainly can be a true annoyance, I was wondering though how was your bike locked up when it was stolen? And the general details, trying to get an idea about things.

Modifying and Revamping the Blog as it is in the process of being revamped. A work in progress, take a look Here
And another being worked through can be found at this link.
Thanks for taking a look at my page.