Life By Bicycle @ Wordpress

Bicycling & Alternative Transportation Collection.

Monday, January 14, 2008

On Helmets and The Yes or No Debate

So the story keeps getting interesting. As far as it goes, I will wear a helmet if I am up singletracking it on the retired Fort Ord Public Lands, where the worst experience thus far was when my brother lost it over a series of jumps on a downhill and ended up with a bit of road rash though otherwise ok. He was wearing a helmet at the time, and when he saw the doctor and took a good look at his helmet it was cracked on the left side, so certainly that serves as an example of certainly why they are beneficial. The story goes though he is also a bike commuter attending a local community college which is about a thirty minute ride from home. He has not worn a helmet since we last rode Fort Ord, though the plan is to ride again in the coming season. And it is likely, at that point the helmet will either be purchased or an undamaged one will be dusted off to ride again. Otherwise the helmet I have will remain waiting for the day when it is necessary to bring out again. In commuting, I just cruise without the helmet, certainly safe cycling is an integral part of a safe commute all in all I must admit the fact that I agree with what Ken Kifer has said, may he rest in peace. I will continue to ride as I always have but being careful is the key.

Ride On...Safely. And welcome 2008.

No comments: